The project is winding down and so is the punch list. Meanwhile, I’ve been keeping busy with small tasks. Something weighing on me has been the space at the end of the pantry run. We were left with about six inches of space and the carpenter suggested a mop closet. Brilliant! There was just one problem: With the pantries already assembled, fitting hand, plus drill, plus drill bit into this confined space in order to install any kind of utility rack was going to be a challenge. The guys actually looked at me like I’m a crazy lady. I’m sure when they suggested it they thought I’d just throw some mops in there and shut the door, job done — but I wanted to hang my handy Casabella Grook Utility mop holder and have everything organized neatly. Google to the rescue.
I figured there had to be some sort of special drill for tight spaces so that’s what I Googled and I came across a construction pros forum where sheet-metal workers were trading tips on drilling in confined spaces. What I needed has a name; it’s called a right-angle drill attachment.
I found this one by Dewalt and Home Depot got it to me by the weekend. I also ordered some stubby drill bits, but turned out not to need them. Quite the opposite, in fact. The screws were located between the grips of the utility holder, so I needed the longest driver in my toolbox.
The attachment works like a charm. The only problem is, you have to hold it still or it rotates. With the right hand holding the drill and the left hand holding the attachment, I needed two more hands: one to hold the mop rack and the other to position the driver into the screw head. Luckily Ross was able to assist (I’ve taken to calling him Mr. Renov8or — a title he declines with a modest nod, suggesting Renov8or apprentice… but I digress). Standing on a ladder behind me, he was able to hold the utility rack in place while I drove the screws in, not even bothering with pilot holes. That did the trick.
Now all my mops and brooms fit neatly in this narrow custom pantry. All that was left for the guys to do was finish the door installation, and they were on it.
Follow the Renovation Diary: